Book Review – Inspired Energised Treats by Nicole McDowell
Purchase Inspired Energised Treats by Nicole McDowell through What Can I Eat and receive free freight with our exclusive code.
I was very excited to receive a copy of your book Inspired Energised Treats. I love the A5 format they are easy to use in the kitchen and easy to store for future use.
I think Nicole has completely nailed the title with “Inspired” it was a delight to flick through the pages and then go back and identify what my favourite flavours were to choose which one to make first. The images are great in reflecting and displaying the quality of the end result.
I am a huge fan of the physical book as apposed to ebooks. I love my collection and always have them in my pantry close at hand. This is a very easy to manage size for a cookbook, I love that it is the one theme, so when I want a treat I can just go to this book immediately. Great idea.
The recipes are all delicious and it would be hard to pick a favourite! However if I had to pick, I went back to Tangy Lemon Slice a couple of times, and the muffin recipes, I am an avid muffin lover, they are the first on my list.
The cookbook is a very useful tool in enabling me to have a few favourite paleo style go to recipes. The ingredients are readily available and would be in most healthy kitchen so that makes the whole process more inspiring again.
In conclusion, Inspired Energised Treats is wonderful compilation. It really is a great resource for any kitchen.
Book Review by Kylie Hollonds
View a delicious recipe from Inspired Energised Treats by Nicole McDowell – Apple & Cinnamon Muffins – they are Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Processed Sugar Free and Grain Free! APPLE & CINNAMON MUFFIN RECIPE
Purchase Inspired Energised Treats by Nicole McDowell through What Can I Eat and receive free freight with our exclusive code BUY NOW
- ½ cup unhulled tahini
- ½ cup pure floral honey
- 2 tb cocoa powder
- 3 cups Freedom Foods Rice Puffs
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup pepitas
- Line a 30x20cm slice tin with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan over a low heat melt the tahini and honey until runny. Stir frequently to combine and be careful not to let the mixture boil. Add the cocoa powder and stir to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the puffed rice, currant s, coconut and pepitas. Pour in the cocoa mixture and with a spoon gently fold and mix until the dry ingredients are coated.
- Transfer the gooey mixture into the prepared slice tin and spread out with a spoon. Place a sheet of baking paper over the top and using a flat metal fish slice press the mixture down firmly. Place the tin in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set .
- Remove from the fridge and turn out of the t in onto a board. Using a sharp knife cut into squares and serve.
- If not serving straight away the squares will keep in t he freezer for up to 3 months or in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Recipe by: Dr Joanna McMillan Nutritional Advisor for Freedom Foods
Raw Banana Cake
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Line a baking tin with baking paper or use silicone cupcake cases*
- In a food processor, process your cashews until they look like crumbs.
- Add in your dates (if your dates have been in the fridge and are quite hard – just heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until they soften) and process until finely chopped.
- Add in your bananas, processing until the mix has combined.
- Pour your mixture into your tin/silicone cups and freeze until solid.
- When serving, serve quickly as it will begin to melt!
Makes about 8 slices, easily multiplied
N.B: *We’ve found metal tins tend to let the mix freeze solid, whilst silicone cases and tins keep the mixture quite soft.
(raw, vegan, grain free, gluten free, paleo, sugar free)
Choose whichever option you prefer.
● 8 small gluten free biscuits/cookies (We like Gluten Free Freelicious Tea Biscuits)
● ~1/2 cup Almond Meal plus 1/2 tbsp Honey
If using the biscuits, simply crush them and pour into the bottom of your glasses
If using almond meal, mix the almond meal and honey and pour into your glasses.
- 2 cups reduced fat ricotta (2x 250g tubs)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen.
Mix together your ricotta and honey and divide amongst your glasses.
Microwave your blueberries for about 30 seconds or until they can be squished.
Spoon on your blueberries over the top of your ricotta mix.
Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until you’re ready to serve!
My top 5 tips for reducing chemical exposure in your life and live clean this summer:
For those of you who don’t know my journey, I grew up in gorgeous Central Queensland, the lush black soil was perfect for cattle farming and growing crops. However, the 70’s bought with it the chemical revolution in the farming world. This unfortunately meant as children we were exposed to multiple chemicals pretty much on a continual basis. In my 20s and 30s I found myself continually detoxing under the guidance of health professionals, astounded by the deep levels of chemical residue in my system, but I never really understood the full extent of the chemical maze out there in our food and environment.
So began my intense journey to find products and ingredients that I could trust.
What companies do you trust to provide you with products that will support a Live Clean lifestyle? Everyone wants to know that what they are paying for is safe and that all ingredients are exposed. Argghhh now here is the key, let me share some tips with you.
Be aware of words on packaging
Words like Natural, Clean, Safe, Pure, Green even Organic are the keywords that make my eyes pop lately. You see marketing is very tricky these days, just because you see these words does not necessarily mean the product is free of the nasties. Check out our resources on this topic on our blog.
What’s not listed?
Call the company, ask them if they list all the ingredients on the packaging, and ask them what ingredients are NOT listed that are below the threshold where they do not have to be revealed.
What testing has the products been through. Have the products been endorsed scientifically and can they prove this. I know of companies whose products were thought to be safe and natural that have since been tested independently tested and the ingredient protocols were definitely NOT ok. When mixed with water they formed formaldehyde. So do your homework.
Many people have not heard of the Environmental working group. Just onto their site, they are leading the way in ensuring consumers know about products and ingredients. http://www.ewg.org/
Take action TODAY!
Once you find a brand that you can trust, stick with it. I am pleased to say there are many out there. My favourite Live Clean brand as many know is Modere, you can find their website here at https://www.modere.com.au/?referralCode=256337 with an embedded code to allocate you a $10 credit into your cart to start making the change. They have safe solutions for your home from the bathroom to the kitchen and anything in-between. Consumers can buy what they want when they want online and home delivered.