Enjoying freshly made yogurt offers a wealth of health benefits, particularly for growing children. In fact, recent research revealed 98 per cent of dietitians recommend yogurt as a healthy snack for children because of its health benefits.
Yogurt is an excellent source of protein and calcium. To maximise the benefit of live cultures such as probiotics, yogurt is best made fresh at home rather than purchasing from a supermarket shelf.
Encouraging little ones to eat nutritious foods can be challenging. It requires a bit of clever, fun thinking to convince kids that healthy food can also be delicious.
These ideas are designed to offer parents healthy snack food inspiration:
- Serve unsweetened yogurt with a drizzle of honey and fruit. It’s a great way to kick start the day and also makes for a nutritious after school snack.
- Add grated cucumber and garlic, fresh lemon juice and mint to unsweetened natural or Greek yogurt for tantalising tzatziki. Kids will enjoy eating this dip with carrot, cucumber and celery sticks. Any leftovers can be added to Monday’s ‘Sip and crunch’ and even used as a delicious sandwich spread for lunch.
- Yogurt is a versatile substitute ingredient in cooking. Replace sour cream with unsweetened Greek yogurt when making nachos and the kids won’t know the difference. Alternatively, try making café style pancakes using unsweetened natural yogurt instead of milk, add favourite toppings and enjoy!
- Enjoy greater control of ingredients by making homemade frozen yogurt popsicles. Simply add freshly cut fruit to favourite yogurt flavours and freeze in popsicle moulds for a fun, delicious and nutritious alternative to pre-packaged ice cream.
- Turn yogurt into an easy on-the-go travel snack or school lunchbox treat with yogurt pouches such as the range from EasiYo. Featuring three kid friendly designs, “Squeezi-yo’s” are available in packs of three from Australia Natural Care and EasiYo.
EasiYo yogurt is made effortlessly at home, is delicious, nutritious, vegetarian and gluten free. Simply follow the instructions – it takes just a few minutes to prepare – and let the live cultures work their magic overnight!
EasiYo is available from Big W, Woolworths, Foodland, Coles, IGA and online via Australian Natural Care or directly on EasiYo.com. For more information and recipe ideas, visit EasiYo.com.