Do you feel a slight sensation of dread, thinking what all those Christmas parties will do to your waistline? Staying healthy this holiday season doesn’t need to be stressful.
A new study shows that even one week of overindulging can change the way your genes in your fat cells store fat. This is shocking news indeed, but there are some simple steps we can implement to prevent this, and get through the jolly season not only with our health intact, but positively glowing!
- Sit down and set your goal. On January 1st, 2017 how do you want to feel and look? Write yourself a postcard from the future, describing exactly how you are after the party season is over
- Plan your strategy of how you will achieve this. For this you need to concentrate on three elements:
- Maintaining your focus. Plan beforehand how you want to act at get-togethers. How many drinks will you have? Which food items will you have, and which ones might you reserve as a special treat for Christmas itself? Is there a special dish you could bring, that you know is low in calories and scores high on taste, which you could fill up on? Get creative and have fun planning with your goal of feeling fantastic in January firm in your mind.
- Nourish your body well. Start the day with fresh fruit and berries, have plenty of salad and veg. Stay away from refined foods as much as possible, and tweak your recipes to make them fat-free. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – when you drink plenty of water, you feel less hungry.
- Move your body. Even when you don’t have time for your normal exercise routine, you can have fun building little bursts of movement into the day: think quick trips to the park with the family or dancing to your favourite songs in the living room.
- Track and review how you’re going, and tweak your approach as you go.
With this simple strategy you can enjoy a much more relaxed holiday season, and stay in control of your waistline and health at the same time. Beautiful!
Article submitted by Hilke Legenhausen