Winter is a beautiful time of year. It’s the time we can snuggle up with a blanket and enjoy warm meals that are filled with nutrition. For some, it can be a time of lethargy and lack of motivation as the days shorten and the nights become cold. It is for that reason our diet needs to alter with the change in season to nourish our mind to regulate emotions, promote gut health to boost immune health and care for your skin during winter.
So which foods can do all of this?
Foods that improve your mood and the feeling of wellbeing contain tryptophan. Tryptophan increases serotonin in the brain which helps you feel happier. These foods include turkey, chicken, lamb, beef, fish (tuna, salmon, trout), seeds (pumpkin, chia, sesame, flaxseed), nuts (cashews, almonds), legumes (soya, lentils, kidney beans). Gut health is improved by consuming minimal processed and sugary foods and maximizing foods such as Sauerkraut. Kefir, Korean Kimchi, pickled vegetables, Miso, Tempeh, Cottage Cheese and of course yoghurt.
When your mood is positive and your gut health is balanced you will have skin that glows. In addition to these two key areas of health, here are some important tips to add into your day
1. Variety is the spice of life. Eating various foods will give your body a range of nutrients, vitamins and digestive enzymes, which would lead to less need for supplementation.
2. Only eat what is in season.
3. Drink water that is warm or perhaps more herbal tea.
4. Although not food related, but can definitely assist your health, enjoy exercise on a regular basis.
5. With increased need to wear more clothing, there is more chance of over heating and irritating your skin. If your skin is sensitive, perhaps the layers of clothing that come into contact with your skin should be made from a breathable material such as cotton and bamboo. If you wear synthetic materials you may get hot and sweaty and the toxins eliminated through your skin can sit there all day irritating sensitive skin.
6. To compensate for the drying nature of the heater, get into the habit of drinking warm filtered water throughout the day with some chlorophyll or a squeeze of fresh lemon to add natural flavour.
For more tips on skin health go to www.ireneprantalos.com or visit our Skin Care category for some great products.