ga('create', 'UA-12000457-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');

You would think that the simplest approach to treating egg allergy is you just don’t eat eggs.5 tips for living with an egg allergy

But, so many foods are made with eggs and egg products that it can be really hard to know what’s OK and not OK to eat.

Tips for Living With an Egg Allergy 

1. It’s a good idea to work with a registered dietician to develop an eating plan that provides all the nutrients you need while avoiding things you can’t eat.

2. If you have a severe egg allergy — or any kind of serious allergy — your doctor may want you to carry a shot of epinephrine (pronounced: eh-puh-neh-frin) with you in case of an emergency. Epinephrine comes in an easy-to-carry container about the size of a large marker. It’s easy to use — your doctor will show you how.

3. If you accidentally eat something with egg in it and start having serious allergic symptoms, like swelling inside your mouth, chest pain, or difficulty breathing, you can give yourself the shot right away to counteract the reaction while you’re waiting for medical help. Always call for emergency help (011) when using epinephrine. You should make sure your school and even good friends’ houses have injectable epinephrine on hand, too.

4. Keeping epinephrine on hand at all times should be just part of your action plan for living with an egg allergy. It’s also a good idea to carry an over-the-counter antihistamine as this can help alleviate allergy symptoms in some people. Antihistamines should be used in addition to the epinephrine and not as a replacement for the shot.

5. If you’ve had to take an epinephrine shot because of an allergic reaction, then you should go immediately to a medical facility or hospital emergency room so they can give you additional treatment if you need it. Up to one third of anaphylactic reactions can have a second wave of symptoms several hours following the initial attack. Therefore, you might need to be observed in a clinic or hospital for 4 to 8 hours following the reaction.

Reference: Kids Health.org