SERVES 4 as an entrée or side
An ideal essential ingredient of a warm winter salad. The subtle sweetness of SunGold is a wonderful accompaniment to shellfish as well as oily fish such as salmon, swordfish or ocean trout, and chicken.
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled, very finely sliced
- 500g green king prawns, cooked, peeled, deveined and sliced in half lengthways
- 1 cup assorted sprouts – snow pea tendrils, mung bean, bean shoots
- 200 grams mixed lettuce leaves, washed, dried
- 2 birds-eye chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup mixed herbs, finely chopped
- Combine king prawns, spouts, lettuce, chilli, red onion and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add a half of the dressing and toss well.
- Arrange on a serving platter and carefully place the SunGold Kiwifruit slices through the salad.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over salad.
- Finish with a good grind of pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Cover with water and gently rub the grain between your hands to wash off the bitter coating. Drain well and rinse until water becomes clear.
- Bring water to the boil, add rinsed quinoa, salt and olive oil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the grains become translucent. Place a clean dry tea towel over the pot and place a lid on top. This will help to absorb excess moisture and make the quinoa very fluffy and light until – and keep it warm until ready to serve.